Monday, February 14, 2011

Romantic Comedy Top-Ten List

I spent the weekend rewatching numerous romantic comedies so that I could compile a list of my favorites. Other than giving me something to write about, I thought it also might help me get into the Valentines Day spirit. WRONG! Mostly what it did is remind my of how pathetic my love life is. Nevertheless, I pushed through the pathetic state of being to create this list of my favorite romantic comedies. As a disclaimer I want to state that this is not a list of my favorite romantic movies, but only of what some call RomComs. For example, not on the list are some of my favorites like the Notebook, Casablanca, Ghost and Dirty Dancing just to name a few. So given that proviso, here is a list of my Top-Ten favorite romantic comedies in reverse order.

#10 - Hitch

Why I love this movie? Because the good guy gets the girl! It doesn't always work this way in real life...most women seem to like the "bad-boys"...but the Kevin James character is not a bad boy...he is a very nice, down to earth guy...and he gets the girl! Plus, where else can you learn about the 90% rule?


I'm still waiting to have that last first kiss!


#9 - Sweet Home Alabama

Why I love this movie? Two words...Reese Witherspoon! Seriously though, I think it has to do with the whole idea about young love and lightening striking twice and all that!


One of the great things about having someone special in your life is knowing that you have someone to kiss anytime you want! You cannot under estimate that blessing!

#8 Return to Me

Why I love this movie? This movie has such a sweet spirit about it. David Duchovny and Minnie Driver are very understated in their chemistry together, but it some how works! Plus it has Jim Belushi and Bonnie Hunt (I love Bonnie Hunt...she is a-dor-a-ble)! The rest of the supporting cast is a hoot!



Two people being drawn together by a heart-connection (literally). Who doesn't want to have a truly heart to heart relationship?

#7 - Serendipity

 Why I love this movie? The whole idea of fate bringing two people together, has always fascinated me. I have always thought I might find someone through a "meet cute" experience. Additionally, the movie has a great cast with John Cusack, Kate Beckinsale, Jeremy Piven, Molly Shannon and Eugene Levy.



I am enough of a romantic to believe that there is someone out there I am meant to be with!

#6 - Groundhog Day

Why I love this movie? I love the way the movie shows us how the Bill Murray character goes through the experience of reliving his day over and over again. First, he doubts, then he manipulates and then he despairs, before he finally decides to change. Maybe I am naive but I have always believed that if you are the right kind of person, you would be attractive to the right kind of person. Phil Connors starts out as a selfish person, unlovable and mean spirited, but through the process of time he becomes caring and lovable. It gives us all hope that we can become a better person. In an unintended way I think it illustrates what Paul wrote about love in 1 Corinthians 13.



#5 - Sleepless in Seattle

Why I love this movie? Again, the movie deals with themes of destiny and fate in love. But more importantly, it deals with the idea of having a "magical" relationship with someone. No relationship is perfect, but I know that I want something that sparks and sizzles but is also deep and intimate. I also love the story line dealing with the Hanks character getting back "out there" after a long time away from dating. I certainly identify with that part of the movie. The other great thing about this film is the soundtrack. In fact, many of the films on my top-ten list include some great songs. The scene where Hanks calls the woman for a date and Gene Autry's "Back in the Saddle Again" is playing in the background is hilarious.


I can't offer much when it comes to pecs and a cute butt, but I do know what tiramisu is!

#4 - The Princess Bride

Why I love this movie? TRUE LOVE! Need I say more? This movie is just so much fun. There are so many great lines and it is truly a classic.


I'm still looking for my Buttercup! As you wish!

#3 - You've Got Mail

Why I love this movie? It's all about the chemistry between Hanks and Ryan...Meg is at her most scrumptiousness in this movie! And what man doesn't want to hear his love say, "I wanted it to be you, I wanted it to be you so badly?" Again, the soundtrack is really good.



"Don't cry...Shopgirl...don't cry!"

#2 - When Harry Met Sally

Why I love this movie? There is so much I love about this movie, but I think that for me it makes the point that in the strongest relationships, men and women must be friends first. Billy Crystal's speech at the end is wonderful..."when you realize that you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible!"


Enough said...

#1 - The Family Man

Why I love this movie? I think it has to do with the idea that decisions alter our fate in ways we don't always understand. At the very beginning of the movie the Nicolas Cage character (Jack) is at the airport getting ready to leave for Europe and a job in big finance. The Tea` Leoni character (Kate) begs him not to go and she gives this speech about "choosing us." Jack goes and ends up with a big time Wall Street job with lots of money and power. Yet because of that decision, he loses his relationship with her and lives a loveless life. But due to an act of intervention, he is given a glimpse into what his life would have been like had he stayed. In the process he learns what is really important in life and that family is much more to be desired than wealth and power. He also learns how much he really loves Kate.







"Then I'll just fill yours up to the top!"

So this is my top-ten, what's yours?

2 comments:

Dale Nicol said...

Thanks Jim - I can't disagree with any of your choices. Maybe there are more out there - I love Audrey Hepburn flicks - one might fit into my list but again, good list and I enjoyed your take on them.

Jim Wheeler said...

Thanks Dale. There are definitely some good ones out there that I left off, but these are the ones I enjoy the most!