Tuesday, June 02, 2020

Movie Review: A Face In The Crowd


Genre: Drama

Plot SummaryAmbitious young radio producer Marcia Jeffries (Patricia Neal) finds a charming rogue named Larry "Lonesome" Rhodes (Andy Griffith) in an Arkansas drunk tank and puts him on the air. Soon, Rhodes' local popularity gets him an appearance on television in Memphis, which he parlays into national network stardom that he uses to endorse a presidential candidate for personal gain. But the increasingly petulant star's ego, arrogance and womanizing threaten his rise to the top.

Links:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050371/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Face_in_the_Crowd_(film)

Movie Facts:

  • Initial release: May 28, 1957
  • Director: Elia Kazan
  • Screenplay: Budd Schulberg
  • Story by: Budd Schulberg
  • Cast: Andy Griffith, Patricia Neal, Anthony Franciosa, Walter Matthau, Lee Remick

Rotten Tomatoes Score: 87%   IMDB Score: 8.2/10

Awards and Honors:

Nominated for Directors Guild of America Award for Outstanding Directing – Feature Film

Best Movie ListsNone that I could find, but I have a sneaking suspicion this will land on the Jim's List of Favorite Movies!!

What’s to Like?

This movie could be summarized as "Andy Griffith plays an a**hole!" That may seem a little crass, but I think it is apt. Maybe it's like coming upon the scene of a crash where you just have to look. Seeing Andy Griffith play a role like this, it's just hard to look away. I enjoyed every minute of the movie. I couldn't look away.

What’s not to Like?

Some may view Griffith's performance as "over the top," but I thought that he embodied the role and played it just right. 


Memorable Scenes, Characters, Quotes:

There are several great scenes but the one in the video below does a good job of emphaising the ego that the character displayed and how he was ableto influence those around him.



Worldview:

Proverbs 11:2 says: "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." Of course we all know Proverbs 16:18: "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall."

Griffith's character, Lonesome Rhodes is the epitome of pride and someone being "full of them self."

This scene is devastating. 

What I Think:

I found this late one night when I couldn't sleep. I happen to catch it as it just started and the longer I watched, the more enthralled I became.  If you are my age, you probably grew up watching reruns of The Andy Griffith Show (or even Matlock). Larry "Lonesome" Rhodes is no Andy Taylor. He is crass, manipulative, self-indulgent and morally corrupt. He gets what he deserves in the end, but what a journey to get there. I am reminded of the Galatians 6:7-10

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people...

Lonesome Rhodes had so much talent and ability, too bad it was wasted on his ego.

My Score (out of 10) – 9

No comments: