While doing some work online Tuesday, my computer said, "you've got mail." Since it was my home account and I rarely use it I almost ignored the message, but I decided to check it out anyway. I was glad I did. It was a message from Classmates.com, a site I signed up for a few years ago, and rarely visited since. Because I am such a cheap skate, I wouldn't spring for the regular subscription and registered for the free part instead. Because I am on the "free plan" the only thing I can do at classmates is basically look to see who else has registered. The downside is those awful e-mail messages telling me that a certain amount of people have looked at my bio and that I really should sign up for a subscription so I can find out who!
On Tuesday however, the message was different. It said someone from my class had sent me an e-mail and that I could go to the website and read it (I didn't even know we could send e-mail to classmates through, well Classmates.com). More importantly, the e-mail said that it was from D. Phillips.
D. Phillips! That would be Doug Phillips, my best friend throughout Jr. High and High School. Needles to say, I immediately opened the e-mail and read it. What a blessing it was to hear from Doug. After High School, we both went our separate ways, he went to WSU (go Cougs) and I went to P.C.B.B.C. (don't ask. Well okay - Pacific Coast Baptist Bible College). Over the years we basically lost touch.
A few years back we e-mailed each other a couple of times but lost track again. This time, I hope we can remain in touch. I rejoice and gives thanks to the Lord that he and his family are well. It does my heart good!
Good friends don't come along often and Doug was, and I think I can still say, is a good friend.
PS. One funny story: On graduation night, our class rented out the YMCA for an all night grad party. After a fun night of dancing and games and reminiscing, a group of us decided to go to breakfast since it was now about 4:00 am. After breakfast I talked Doug into going with me to Selah to see my then girlfriend. I was just going to knock on her window and say hello. Arriving at the girlfriend's house I parked out front and walked around to the side of the house to knock on her window. Doug stayed out front and waited by the car. After knocking on the window, the girlfriend and her sister invited me to come in through the window and then to go out through the front door (it now sounds very inappropriate, but there was nothing untoward that happened). Anyway, after saying hi and goodbye I quietly walked out the front door to return to the car and what did I see? Doug was being questioned by the Selah police. Evidently, they were driving by while I was going through the window and thought a crime might be in progress. After much explaining, they determined that it was what it was and we were free to go, although my friend was none too happy with me. Still, he let it go and moved on. That's what friends do.
2 comments:
So, I have to ask . . . did you subscribe to classmates.com now that you were blessed to hear from Doug???
"M"
I am going to (but grudgingly).
Post a Comment