In previous posts (see here, here, here and here) I discussed why Rush is my favorite band. Now I want to talk about my second favorite band, Bachman Turner Overdrive or as they are affectionately known as BTO. Whereas Rush is known more as a "progressive rock" band, BTO is a more straight up "hard rock" band, although several of their songs have a jazz flavor to them.
As I began my High School years I became fascinated with BTO largely through my neighbor and classmate Bill Fisher . Bill had an LP (remember those?) by BTO called "Four Wheel Drive" and because I had just been given an old record player and needed something to play on it, he graciously let me borrow the album.
Given that it was going to take some time for me to earn the money to buy new albums I literally played "Four Wheel Drive" day and night. Every song on the album became my favorite as I listened to each one until the words and music were etched in my memory. Even today, I can still hear the music in my mind.
In any event, this led to the purchase of my second BTO album, "Not Fragile." Arguably their best album, there is no debate that it was their most successful, reaching number 1 on the pop album charts in 1974. It also included two number one hits, "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" and the instrumental "Free Wheelin." This album also included several of their best known songs, like "Roll on Down the Highway," "Not Fragile," and "Sledgehammer." Over the next few weeks I will be posting more on my favorite BTO albums and songs, but for now I want to post a couple of BTO videos from youtube.
One thing I want to add is that you shouldn't judge the band by their looks or by the quality of these videos. Randy Bachman and especially C.F. Turner do not look like your usual rock band members, but that doesn't mean they can't produce some very good tunes. So enjoy.
2 comments:
Listened and watched all the videos. I pulled up the lyrics to read on You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet because it was my favorite of the four I watched. Gooooood drums!
I haven't forgotten about Rush. I actually exercised one night to the 1-7 CD you sent me and I lived through it. Pretty fast stuff, my Gazelle was smoking when I finished. I still want to write a post on Rush when I have all my thoughts in order.
This was my first time listening to Bachman Turner Overdrive. Not bad.
:)
"M"
I will make you a BTO CD, with my favorite songs. Their were no videos of my favorites. Also, not mentioned and suprisingly there was no video of their most popular song, "Takin Care of Business" which I am sure you have probably heard before.
I just loved the thought of you exercising to Rush. I look forward to your Rush post.
Post a Comment