As I look back to 2005 a lot has changed in my life since then.
In 2005, I was married and thought I would be that way for the rest of my life. In 2011, I am divorced and single. No one event has changed my life more than the break-up of my marriage and the subsequent impact that it has had on my family!
In 2005, I was in my 15th year of service as a local church Pastor. In 2011, I work for a major non-profit helping other non-profit and government agencies plan and direct housing and services to the homeless. My divorce not only impacted my family, but it also impacted my career. There is nothing more frightening than suddenly finding yourself unemployed in your mid 40s without clear direction on what you should do with the rest of your life.
In 2005, my children were 20, 17, 15, and 12. In 2011, they are 26, 23, 21 and 18. In the last six years I have experienced two high school graduations (and a third coming in May), two college graduations, a wedding and the birth of my first grandchild! Navigating these events in the midst of a separation and divorce has been a bittersweet experience.
In 2005, I weighed 284 lbs. I was clearly on my way to an early death. In 2011, I weigh....well let's just say considerably less! I am in much better health now and I work very hard to keep it that way. I have struggled with my weight for most of my adult life and it is still a daily battle for me.
In 2005, I had three years of postsecondary education from an unaccredited Bible College. In 2011, I have a BA, from an accredited University and by the end of this year will have a Masters Degree in Public Administration from California State University, Bakersfield (CSUB). Going back to school has been such a blessing to me and it certainly has helped to keep me busy (it is also one of the reasons why I stopped blogging - all I have done since I started back to school is write papers - uggghhh).
Since 2005 there have been many other changes in my life as well. I hope to discuss them in the coming months.
So why start blogging again? Several reasons...
- I hope that through my recent experiences I can be a blessing and encouragement to others who are going through similar circumstances.
- I have things I want to say and share that do not lend themselves to my other online outlet i.e. Facebook.
- I need a way to express my creativity and to continue to develop my writing skills (such as they are) now that my formal education is almost complete.
- I have 17 years worth of sermons and lessons that I would like to archive online so that I can leave as a legacy for my family and friends.
- I am single (and it looks like I may be that way for a while!), I have a LOT of time on my hands! I need something constructive to do!
I wanted to give nod to my friend Dale Nicol, who recently started a blog and helped to rekindle my desire for blogging again.
Talk To You Soon,
Jim
6 comments:
Hi Jim -- As a blogger myself, I appreciate the effort it takes to write consistently. I look forward to reading more! Best wishes. DCR
Thanks Diana, I appreciate your encouragement. Please feel free to offer any advice you think I might need!
Welcome back, Son. :)
Great to see you get going with this Jim. I appreciate the "Nod". It becomes a responsibility to me as I have several regular readers now. That keeps me going and keeps me writing. I find I look into the Word more thoughtfully when I write. I look forward to reading what you share.
Looking forward to reading your blogs. I think this is a great way to start your New Year.
Jimbo -
I enjoyed your previous posts and I'm glad that you're back!
Post a Comment