Saturday, January 26, 2013

Top Songs of 1978 - Part 3

In this series, I am looking at the top 100 songs from 1978. Songs 100-91 can be found here and songs 90-81 can be found here. Going back and listening to these songs bring back lots of memories for me, both good and bad! Let's look at songs 80-71.

#80 - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - Santa Esmeralda
#79 - Falling - LeBlanc & Carr
#78 - Sentimental Lady - Bob Welch
#77 - Serpentine Fire - Earth, Wind & Fire
#76 - You and I - Rick James
#75 - Always and Forever - Heatwave
#74 - Copacabana - Barry Manilow
#73 - Every Kinda People - Robert Palmer
#72 - Because the Night - Patti Smith
#71 - Don't it Make my Brown Eyes Blue - Crystal Gayle

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood was first recorded in 1964 and has been recorded several times since, with the best-known version recorded by the Animals in 1965. This version, with a disco spin, is recorded by Santa Esmeralda. Interestingly, Santa Esmeralda also did a disco version of "House of the Rising Son" also a song made famous by the Animals.



Falling a song by the first of the one-hit wonders on our list. I actually like this song, but maybe I am getting sentimental in my old age? Nahhhhh...


Sentimental Lady is the second Bob Welch song on the list. Is there really such a thing as a "sentimental lady?"


Earth, Wind and Fire is one of my favorite groups from the 70s. Their music is what I would call "genre spanning" because it includes elements of soul, disco, R & B, rock, jazz and funk. Serpentine Fire is one of their better songs!


When I think of Rick James this is not the song I think of (that would be Super Freak). In fact, I had to listen to this song on you tube to remember it and I honestly don't ever remember hearing it on the radio...but here it is...


Always and Forever is another one of those songs that I like more now that I am older.


Recently someone questioned my musical tastes (and my rock music creds) because I attended a Barry Manilow concert. Barry Manilow is not my first choice when I put a CD in the car, but honestly, it's Copacabana, tell me that you don't secretly like this song?


Every Kinda People...hmmmm...this is another one of those songs I didn't remember. It has a great bass line though. Oh, and who knew that Robert Palmer ever performed without a large group of skinny white-women wearing too much make-up singing backup?


I never was a big Patti Smith fan, but I like Because the Night.


Hmmm...Crystal Gayle...she had long hair...


So what do you think? Which one is your favorite of the group?

No comments: