Wednesday, November 18, 2020

10 Influential Albums #5 - Randy Stonehill, Love Beyond Reason



I was recently challenged on Facebook to post the 10 albums that influenced my musical taste. The idea is that you are to post one album cover a day with no explanations, no reviews, just the cover. Of course, that's not really fair. How can you post an album cover without explaining why the music was so influential to you? Since I can't explain it on Facebook, I can explain it here, after all, it is MY blog!!!

So how is it that this album influenced my musical tastes?

Back before the Trinity Broadcast Network (TBN) jumped the shark. They used to premier and play Contemporary Christian Music (or CCM) videos. If I remember right, it was called Real Videos. Because all too often the Church tends to copy the culture rather than the other way around, this was the Christian attempt to counter MTV. Nevertheless, there were a few good videos that came out during that time (although, now they seem a little cheesy).

My favorite at the time was a video by Randy Stonehill. The video was called Gods of Men and while the video concept wasn't the best, the song had a great message. After seeing the video, I went and bought the CD (see how we have gone from vinyl, to cassettes, to CD's?). It was called Love Beyond Reason and I wore it out. I liked EVERY song on the album. Great messages and great music. Here are a few of my favorites.




Check out the whole album, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: