Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Top Songs of 1978 - Part 5

In this series, I am looking at the top 100 songs from 1978. Songs 100-91 can be found here and songs 90-81 can be found here. Songs 80-71 are posted here. Songs 70-61 are here.

Now let's look at songs 60-51...

#60 - Here You Come Again - Dolly Parton
#59 - You Belong To Me - Carly Simon
#58 - This Time I'm In It For Love - Player
#57 - Back In Love Again - L.T.D.
#56 - Come Sail Away - Styx
#55 - On Broadway - George Benson
#54 - Disco Inferno - Trammps
#53 - My Angel Baby - Toby Beau
#52 - Still the Same - Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
#51 - Imaginary Lover - Atlanta Rhythm Section

This is an interesting and diverse list of 10 songs. It just reminds me of the variety of musical genres that we got to experience during the 70s.

 #60 - Here You Come Again - Dolly Parton - When I was in High School we took a family trip from Yakima to Yellowstone to Salt Lake City to Las Vegas to San Diego to LA and back to Yakima. It lasted two weeks and we had the whole family packed into the family station wagon while pulling a pop up tent-trailer. We stayed at a LOT of KOAs along the way. The station wagon had an 8-track player and my parents had an assorted collection of tapes. Mostly Country & Western. The travel rotation included the best of Conway Twitty and the best of Dolly Parton. To this day when I hear a Conway or Dolly song from that era it brings back fond memories for me. I actually own those Conway and Dolly CDs and listen to them from time to time. I know, I know.


#59 - You Belong to Me - Carly Simon - I really like this song. Carly had some very nice hits in the 70s.


#58 - This Time I'm In It For Love - Player - Meh, it's an okay song.


#57 - Back In Love Again - L.T.D. - More disco...


#56 - Come Sail Away - Styx - A great song from one of my favorite 70s bands. Their Grand Illusion album is still one of my all-time favorites.


#55 - On Broadway - George Benson - There have been a few covers of this song. I like Benson's the best. He has such a smooth voice.


#54 - Disco Inferno - Trammps - One of my favorite disco songs AND it has a great bass line.


#53 - My Angel Baby - Toby Beau - Okay, I admit, I did not remember this song. Not a bad song. It kinda has a blues feel to it.


#52 - Still the Same - Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - This is the second appearance for Bob Seger on the list. It's a great song.


#51 - Imaginary Lover - Atlanta Rhythm Section - ARS is one of the most underrated bands from the 70s. They have a great sound...however, the theme of this song is...ahem...interesting.


So what do you think?

No comments: