When I look at my writing I notice that I use the word alot, a lot! Unfortunately, I have discovered that the word "alot" is not actually a word, which explains the little red line underneath it whenever I use it...chalk one up to spell check!
Anyway, as I have discovered, I should not be using the word (that isn't a word) "alot" at all, and, I should be using the phrase "a lot" much less than I think I should. Are you confused now?
My problem is that when I use the word "alot" I can never think of another word to replace it, even though I should! So for example, when I write that I like to dance alot, I should instead write, I like to dance a lot, and it would be better if I wrote I like to dance regularly or often. The word "lot" can be both a noun and an adverb. As a noun, "lot" means 'a large extent,' 'a large
amount' or 'a large number.' As an adverb, "lot"
means 'to a great extent'
or 'to a great degree'.
There is of course the word "allot" as well. This word is a verb and means to distribute or to apportion. For example, "I will allot my inheritance to each of my children" (don't count on it kids!).
So by way of review.
Never use the word alot because it isn't really a word.
The term a lot is the opposite of "a little" and can be used both as a noun and an adverb.
The word allot means to apportion or distribute something.
More information can be found here with a few quizzes to test your knowledge on the differences between alot, a lot and allot.
No comments:
Post a Comment