Sunday, June 03, 2012

Mountain Dew and Me

I am not sure how old I was when I first started drinking Mtn. Dew but it was around the 5th Grade. I remember spending summers at my paternal grandparents house where I had developed some friends that lived in the area. When we could scrounge up some money we would walk down to the little market around the corner and I would buy a comic book (usually the latest issue of the the Fantastic Four) and a 12 oz glass bottle of Mtn. Dew. Later, when I was in high school and had a job (and hence, my own money), I started drinking Mtn. Dews every day (mostly thanks to the soda machine on campus).

For most of my adult life I have had at least one can/glass/bottle of Mtn. Dew, usually more than one. I remember when they started selling Mtn. Dew from the fountain, that was a great day! A 32 oz cup filled with crushed ice and Mtn. Dew...heaven! Whenever we made a trip to the store for grocery shopping the cart was always filled with several 2 liter bottles of the stuff.  Hey, a guy had to keep his stock supplied!

Then there came a day when for health and weight issues, I had to make a change. So, I bought my first Diet Dew...blech...however, being the loyal Dewist that I was, I endured the terrible after taste to pursue my affection for the daily Dew. But for a short period of time where I went off all caffeine I have continued to have at least one Diet Mtn. Dew everyday for the last 5 years. The picture below indicates the depth of my "affection" for the Dew (the picture illustrates about a week's supply of Mtn. Dew).


You can see my problem. Recently, I have decided I need to go off the Dew and kick the habit. I need to reduce the amount of caffeine I drink (I ONLY drink diet Mtn. Dew, Iced Tea and water) and I am concerned about the amount of artificial sweetener in my system. So I am going on the wagon so to speak.

Starting tomorrow, I will be giving up the Dew. I want to apologize ahead of time, but I know that I am going to be one grumpy guy for awhile. I figure though that with nearly 1500 Facebook friends (and many other people that care about me), I will have a lot of people looking over my shoulder to make sure I walk the straight and narrow.

So, wish me luck, and it would probably be good to stay out of my way for a few days. If you do find yourself near me and I look like I am having caffeine withdrawals...my advice would be to RUN! Oh, and one more thing...sell your Pepsico stock, their profits are going to take a big hit!

No comments: